Margaret Wise Brown
Promote Your Page Too
Margaret Wise Brown (May
23, 1910 - Nov. 13 1952)
Children's Book Author
Welcome, I have been a fan of Margaret Wise Brown's work
time I received my very
first book at the age of 5. The book was Mister Dog, a Little Golden Book,
Illustrated by Garth Williams. If you are a fan of Margaret Wise Brown's work, I hope you will
enjoy the information I have gathered here.
Brief Biographical information
Born: May 23, 1910Place: Greenpoint Brooklyn, New YorkParents:
- Father: Robert Bruce Brown, was Vice President of the American Manufacturing Company.
- Mother: Maude Johnson Brown, was from Virginia.
Pets: In an article reprinted here Margaret said "I had thirty-six rabbits, two squirrels--one bit me and
dropped dead--a collie dog, two Peruvian guinea pigs, a Belgian hare, and seven fish and a wild robin who came back every spring." When Margaret was an adult
she had a Kerry Blue Terrier named Crispin's Crispian. The dog in Mister Dog was named Crispin's Crispian.Education:
- Brother (2 years older), Benjamin Gratz,
Jr. (named after his paternal grandfather)
- Sister (2 years younger), Roberta Brown
- 1926: Dana Hall in Wellesley, Mass.
- 1928: Entered Hollins College,
- 1935: Bank
Street Cooperative School for student teachers.
- 1937: Began her writing career with the publication of When
the Wind Blew.
- 1937 - 1952 Published over 100 picture books for
Died: November 13, 1952 in Nice, France from an embolism
following a minor operation.